Successful call center managers use a variety of techniques to motivate their staff. Some of the techniques are long-term in nature, as they take time to set up and implement, while others are more tactical and can be implemented quickly. Both are necessary to build an outstanding call center.
Here are a few strategic recommendations:
- Align the goals of the contact center and the enterprise.
- Build a warm, welcoming and fair working environment.
- Involve agents in the decision-making process.
- Empower agents.
- Provide frequent and consistent coaching for agents.
- Reward excellent performers.
- Establish an "Executive QA" program.
- Promote from within.
Here are a few shorter-term tactical recommendations:
- Encourage agents to help each other and share suggestions for improvements.
- Make sure managers and supervisors are accessible to agents.
- Establish an agent "buddy" system.
- Foster open dialogue with your agents.
- Accommodate schedule changes on a fair basis.
- Use a variety of motivational tactics.
It's critical for agents to believe that management is fully committed to their success. People like to work for people who believe in them.
This was first published in November 2006