THINGS TO CONSIDER
- Do we have a strong business sponsor? Do we have a backup business sponsor?
- Do we have stakeholders with whom we need to communicate regularly?
- How much time is the business representative committing to this project? Is he or she assigned
to this project full-time, or will he or she be available on request only?
Project Scope and Deliverables
- Did we receive a formal request for a BI project?
- How detailed are the requirements?
- What are the requested deliverables?
- Can we implement the requested scope given the schedule and the available resources?
- Have we already performed a cost-benefit analysis?
- What is the expected return on investment (ROI)?
- How soon do we expect the ROI to materialize?
- Did we review our technical and nontechnical infrastructure components?
- Does our infrastructure have any gaps?
- Which infrastructure components will we need to work on and deliver as part of the BI
-- Which technical infrastructure components?
-- Which nontechnical infrastructure components?
Staffing and Skills
- Have we already identified the team members?
- Do all team members have the skills needed to perform the responsibilities of their assigned roles?
- Should we schedule any training before the project kickoff?
- Is the project manager assigned to this project full-time? Or does he or she have other
administrative responsibilities? If the latter, who will take over those other responsibilities for
the duration of this project?
DOWNLOAD the rest of Chapter 3, Project Planning for free. (No registration required.)
This was first published in April 2005