CRM analysts and experts have predicted big things for open source CRM this year. Why has it
taken so long to catch on? Some experts say one major reason for a slow adoption of open source
thus far may be a lack of customer awareness. How much do you know about open source and open
source CRM vendors? Test your open source savvy with this quick quiz from SearchCRM.com.
How to take the quiz:
* After reading the question, note the letter of your answer.
NOTE: Some questions may have more than one appropriate answer!
* Check your answers by clicking the link to the answer key at the end of the quiz.
* To learn more about a topic and the correct response to the question, open the link that follows the response on the answer page.
Submit your score for a chance to win a copy of this month's featured text,
mySAP CRM: The Official Guidebook to SAP CRM 4.0.
1. Which of the following is not considered a benefit of open source CRM technology?
a) Low cost
b) Quick implementation time
c) High-end functionality
d) Flexibility and customization
2. True or False? The open source movement began with a classic technology progression from operating systems to foundational components like Web servers, application servers and email.
3. True or False? Open source CRM has struggled to capture market share in the past.
4. True or False? Small and midsized businesses were among the early adopters of open source CRM. Larger businesses were leery to adopt because they were concerned about support issues.
5. True or False? When embarking on an open source project, there is no need to consider all the aspects of a traditional software project, including training, documentation, enhancements, bug fixes, and the entire infrastructure required to develop/test/run the system.
6. True or False? According to some experts, a primary hindrance to open source adoption is tied to the low level of awareness surrounding the open source model. This will change as open source is covered more in the press.
7. Which of the following vendors is considered one of the signature open source companies in existence today?
d) None of the above
8. Which of the following is not an open source CRM vendor?
b) BlueWhale CRM
d) OpenSource Now
9. True or False? SugarCRM offers both an on-demand option for customers hosting the data center at its site, and the option to pay for the licenses and host the application at its own location.
10. In June 2006 Ventana Research surveyed 320 IT and business professionals who reported
having an interest in open source BI. Of these, what percentage reported that they had deployed the
(Note: Almost half of the survey participants were from small companies, with under $100 million in revenue; 20% were from midsized businesses, with revenues under $1 billion; and 22% worked for Global 2000 companies.)
a) Less than 25%
b) 25 - 50%
c) 50 - 75%
c) More than 75%
This was first published in October 2006