tashatuvango - Fotolia
Proactive customer support can be one of the most valuable weapons in the customer service arsenal to drive customer satisfaction and reduce customer attrition.
Many companies use proactive customer support to keep customers up to date on the status of a product or service, whether the information is good or bad. For example:
- Many companies that ship a product will proactively notify customers of the status of a shipment and provide a tracking number.
- Many airlines will proactively notify customers if a flight is delayed or if there is a gate change.
Proactive customer service provides an opportunity to enhance the customer journey by creating a dialogue, anticipating customer needs and, at some times, staying ahead of potential issues.
While proactive customer support is growing rapidly, it could become more widespread under these conditions:
- Companies need to look at customer interactions as an opportunity to enhance a relationship, not just as an additional cost.
- Companies need to implement tools to allow for proactive customer support.
- Companies need to understand how a lack of proactive service frustrates customers over time and creates disaffection; as alternatives arise, the customer may defect to another company.
Examining the components necessary for a modern contact center
Don't let customer experience analytics become the flavor of the month
Social media customer service brings its own challenges to contact centers
Dig Deeper on Call center agent
Related Q&A from Scott Sachs
Chatbot success can be measured using a number of metrics. Each helps improve the customer experience. Read on to learn which KPIs are beneficial for... Continue Reading
Call center agents need to make sure they have the skills for which hiring managers are looking. Here are the top call center agent job skills you'll... Continue Reading
The largest companies can choose the largest CRM platforms, but what's left for small- and medium-sized businesses? How should they choose the right ... Continue Reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.